ABOUT NORTH IOWA COOPERATIVE

History & Milestones

Since 2002, North Iowa Cooperative has demonstrated the strength of true cooperative spirit and member-first vision. Throughout their history, North Iowa has reached several milestones that demonstrated the strength of the member-owned cooperative and its abilities to remain a quality resource for today’s and tomorrow’s farmers.

Pre-North Iowa Cooperative Years of Incorporation

1905

Farmers Cooperative
Thornton

1906

Farmers Cooperative
Plymouth

1919

Farmers Cooperative
Portland

1921

Farmers Cooperative
Clear Lake

1982

Portland-Plymouth Unification

1996

Farmers Cooperative Thornton purchase of two Thermogas sites (United LP)

Our History

2001

North Iowa Cooperative is incorporated (unification of Portland-Plymouth & Thornton)

2002

Clear Lake is unified with North Iowa Cooperative

2009

North Iowa launches 10-Year Facilities and Equipment Improvement Plan

2010

Plymouth Grain Storage and Grain Dryer added

2011

Expanded Plymouth NH3 Storage with additional 30,000 gallon tank

2012

650,000 bushel grain storage added in Plymouth

2013

Centralized Seed Facility and Seed Treatment services construction completed

2014

Purchase of 20 acres on north side of Portland for agronomy facility expansion

 

Acquisition of Watters L.P. Gas Service of Swaledale

2015

Construction of 13,000-ton Dry Blend Fertilizer Plant & Two 30,000-Gallon NH3 Storage Tanks in Portland

 

Completed 10-year Facilities and Equipment Improvement Plan

2016

Built a 2 million-gallon 32% UAN storage tank

2017

Constructed the Centralized Liquid Fertilizer Facility with Chemical Warehouse in Portland

2018

Purchased 25 acres east of Thornton for Future Use